Yesterday I shared a Sweeping Colors Sorting Activity inspired by The Cat in the Hat. Today I have another idea inspired by the Cat’s cleaning. Sweep Up the Rhyme practices reading rhyming words from the Cat in the Hat story. Affiliate links are included in this post. Clicking on the book titles will take you to Amazon.
Sweep Up the Rhyme
When you read The Cat in the Hat, you’ll notice how the Cat makes a giant mess as he tries to have fun with Sally and her brother. Before mom comes home, the Cat brings in his clean up machine and makes sure to clean up everything. In this game, the rhymes are all over the floor. Be like the Cat and sort them all out.
For this activity, you’ll need the following:
- Dust pan
- Broom (or cleaning brush)
- Rhyming words
- Containers (you could also just sort the words into piles)
How to Play:
Laminate the words or use contact paper to make them more durable. Then, cut them out.
Set your containers on one side of the room and spread the words out on the other side of the room. This gets the kids moving a bit more during the activity.
Place one word from each column/word family in a container. Have your child sweep up the rhymes and sort them into the correct container.
Have your child read the words as he places them into the correct container. Aiden focused on the word endings to find the rhymes.
This is a super simple and fun way to practice reading rhyming words and word families.
More Dr. Seuss Inspired Activities
- Check out our Sweeping Colors Sorting Activity inspired by The Cat in the Hat. It’s perfect for toddlers to practice colors and sorting skills.
- Kite Rhyming with the Cat in the Hat – This activity is inspired by the kites Thing One and Thing Two fly throughout the house!
- One Fish Two Fish Sight Word Matching Game – Aiden created this fun matching game that involves matching fish.
- See all of our Dr. Seuss Inspired Ideas here.
Subscribe to the Inspiration Laboratories weekly newsletter. Each issue has exclusive hands-on science explorations for children, a recap of our latest activities, and special resources selected just for you!