Here’s a kid friendly recipe that pleases grown-ups, too! This recipe is perfect for letting your kids help out in the kitchen.
(makes 6 muffin halves)
3 English muffins (split in half)
12-18 pepperoni slices (2-3 slices per muffin half)
1 small zucchini (diced)
2 mushrooms (cut in half, then sliced)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (need about a handful – I used a 6 cheese Italian blend that was delicious – it had mozzarella, smoked provolone, asiago, parmesan, romano, and fontina)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (or you can buy pizza sauce)
pizza spices (to make your own pizza sauce)
- oregano (I used about a tsp)
- Italian seasoning (just a little – maybe 1/2 tsp)
- coriander (a pinch – not sure I really noticed it)
- black pepper (a pinch)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. (Or you could used the broiler to melt the cheese if you’re so inclined.)
- Toast the English muffins. I let my son put them in the toaster and push down the button. I took them out of the toaster and made sure he didn’t touch the hot toaster when he put the next muffins in.
- Make the pizza sauce. To the tomato sauce, add spices like oregano, thyme, basil, parsley, coriander, and pepper to taste. (Or just buy some of your favorite pizza sauce.) You can let you kids add the spices (you can measure or just let them sprinkle some in. Let them taste the sauce to see if they approve. They can then add more spices if needed. (I don’t think you can really put too much, so don’t worry about it.)
- Place the toasted muffin halves onto a baking sheet. I lined my with foil for easier cleanup.
- Spread some sauce evenly onto each muffin half. I used about a half cup of sauce to cover 6 muffins. (Your kids can add and spread the sauce.)
- Add your toppings. (Or have your kids add the toppings.) Again you really can’t go wrong with the order or amount. Although here’s what my son did…big handfuls of veggies on the side of only one muffin.
- We placed cheese on top of the sauce. Then, we added the zucchini and mushrooms. Next, we added 2-3 slices of pepperoni to each pizza. Last, we sprinkled a little bit more cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese melts and is slightly brown on top (at least that’s how I like it.) This took about 5 minutes in my convection oven at 350 degrees.
(Oh, and if you haven’t noticed, my son loves trains. I’ll be posting more about our train adventures later this week!)
Linking up here.